Sometimes... life is better in black and white

Monday, June 30

New Commitments

I have really been lacking motivation lately and I'm not sure what's going on. I just haven't felt like doing any writing except of course on Twitter. I just want to sleep. I told myself I would update my blog at least once a week and I haven't even done that.

Here's the thing a few weeks ago I had a little financial setback when one of the magazines I write for hired a full-time editor and bottle washer. The reason I say that is, the publisher has decided this "editor" is going to basically write the entire magazine by herself, except for once in a great while when I guess they need some additional help at which time they will bring me and the other writers in to accommodate their crisis. The decision to do this was made to save money and while it may help their budget it does nothing for mine.

Anyway, after that happened I decided rather than to let myself get down I would instead see it as an opportunity to expand my business and do some things I've wanted to do for awhile and haven't had the time. So my husband and I spent some time talking about what direction I saw my writing business going and where I could see myself in another year. The conversation was really great and helped to give me some clarity and perspective. I walked away that night feeling positive but. . .

Then nothing . . .

I want to say that maybe I'm afraid or it's depression but I don't really feel like it's either. I don't know why I haven't worked at anything.

I was excited about everything that night and I don't know why I haven't followed up with anything but since my apathy has not been great for the checking account I've decided I have got to change what's happening here. So. . . what I'm going to do is set three goals a day and accomplish them no matter what. Then once I complete those goals I can write more if I so choose but if I don't at least I will have done something every day. That's more than I can say now.

I've done this method before when I've been in a slump and it's helped me so I'm hopeful it will do the same this time around. I also need to take up a little bit of exercise to get those natural endorphins going -- even if it's just getting up every morning and going for a walk. We have a walking trail just a little ways from our home that I've been dieing to go on and take some photos so I guess I'll make that a part of my daily routine as well.

I'll report back in a week, if not sooner on how things are going. Wish me luck?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Tracie!

I know you will come out on top of this - and faster than you think!

Annie said...

Hi, just found your site through Entrecard cruising, and what you've described is so familiar. I'm on the tail end of a slump, finally pulling myself out, and the specific goals really helped me. I don't know how I end up there... it's so all of a sudden, and funny for me too it was when I was refining direction for writing and was really excited.. then, I don't know, overwhelmed or just uncertain or something...
Ah well. We make ourselves get over it, sometimes it just takes a while. Best to you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tracie, I detect some real writing talent here; just not enough of it. Would love to see you get back on to this blog and give us more.

London Solomon said...

Hey... I just found your blog and wanted to tell ya that everything will work out. You are a tender hearted woman and your writing is absolutely beautiful. We are all struggling right now but something's got to give soon. Love ya mama and God Bless all of you. I miss ya tons!


London